What does Managed IT services mean?
In the techno gripped world, every people think that they understand the term “managed IT services”, but when asked them to define in more precise form, they get roped into stammering issues. So, what does Managed IT service mean? And how do managed IT service provider (MSP) manage your IT environment.
When going through typical definition of managed IT service, the answers mostly revolve around person to person and that kind of reply may or may not make sense.
From the customers point of view, they might think, “I would want to out-source the entire IT work rather than developing internal team, to gear up my entity performance.” To that client, MSP work might only spin around configuration, installation, of equipment.
But the toil does not confine to setups. Though the out-sourced team will configure every item to best practices, it also works out on the monitoring and patching, tighten the configuration from the security end, fine tune every setting, performance to dynamically cope with the state of configuration.
For any occurrence of functionality or connectivity matter, they fix it on-site or off-site with or without informing the client. The service provider shall also replace or repair the hardware as required, as they might need the device to operate under strict SLA (Service Licensing Agreement) and then provide report to prove the adherence.
Those are the basic assumptions of managed service, but reality differs from the finer points.
“With 2/3 business adapting managed service, learn about Managed Service Provider (MSP) on the on-going process.”
Managed service is an evolution of traditional break and fix model, where the business would hire third-party specialist to upgrade, repair and install systems on hoc basis. The managed service model is based on subscription-based model, where the company agrees to pay fixed amount every month.
What the management entails vary considerably. Most managed service provider offer basic package for daily support, with more sophisticated deal including disaster recovery.
An excellent option for the business who wants to scale up but have no proper resources to support every infrastructure irrespective of every changing scenario. Service Level Agreement (SLA) are important when outsourcing services, as it shows the minimum level of expectations, that a customer shall receive.
The service covers range of business function from system, network, application, system, payroll, back-up and recovery solution with workstation management. For an instance, currently, managed IT service are migrating cloud service to assist the SMB business. These small business lack resource and expertise. To fill in the gap the MSPs provide in-house cloud service.
Another area concentrated by Managed IT Service provider is security. The increasing malicious attack, entity look out for specialist managed service provider, who handles day to day security, patch the leakage, cater the breaches and have a strong back up system.
Advantages of outsourcing Managed Service Provider (MSPs)
- Maintenance & upgrades: Organization no longer must worry about the software renewal, license, and upgrading. All of it is taken care by the MSPs. Further they can also access the latest technology and software which is not must affordable.
- Predictable cost: Instead of incurring large IT expenses at once, business can predict accountable problems and can pay on monthly or annual basis.
- Expertise: For SMBs outsourcing knowledge and expertise with technical assistance can be of great help.
- Time saving: Outsourcing saves time. The in-house team can focus on the core objective of the business instead of wasting on un-necessary and unsolved work.
So, how to reconcile these two mind-sets. Understanding and building partnership is the first step. The purchaser must understand that they are not only opting for maintenance service but a frictionless part to bridge the gap between user and goals.
The second one is settling in an agreement. The contract should be explicit. And both parties need to understand the agreement for the clarity purpose.
Why are managed IT service important?
- It aligns the outcome of the business. An IT company is expected to perform a good job; they are hired to minimize the downtime and maximize the productivity of the business.
- A sense of peace of mind. You might be good at your business, while you have zero knowledge in IT. MSP take care of your IT so you can focus on the revenue portion of the business.
- Strategic IT planning on a quarterly basis or semi-annually basis. What do IT systems need in the 12 months or 24 months? MSPs allows you to think ahead and advice on the fourth-coming plans. This is a link to proactive support, and risk minimization.
- Proactive support. Support is there 24/7. So instead of making your internal IT team fix your problem. They will figure it out, fix it without disturbing your system.
Four keys element to successful implementation of Managed IT Service
There are number of decisions that your organization needs to make while managing the service contract.
- A complete framing of total cost of IT to identify the actual cost for the organization.
- Identify potential providers, and request audit of the system.
- Complete on-boarding process after selection of trustworthy managed service provider.
Are you thinking of migrating your IT project? We have mustered years of experience to help organization and help them foresee the benefit of the improvised productivity with minimum downtime. For Managed IT Service, contact us 1300 138 600 or visit our website www.nswits.com.au