What is web service with 4 examples
Let’s directly go the point, what is a web service? A web service is a software service, that is used to connect two or more device in a single platform. A web service is a software application providing a standardized interoperability between disparate applications using technologies such as SOAP, UDDI, and WSDL.
Usually XLM is used to encode every kind of communications to web service. For an instance, a client appeals a web service by sending an XML message, they then wait for the corresponding XML response. The XML web service are not tied to any of the program language or operating system.
Web services are contained and modular, dynamic applications that can be widely used to describe the created products, processes and supply chain over a network. Such applications can be distributed locally, or web based. The services are built in open standards like JAVA, HTTP, XML and TCP/IP.
Further, these also are the collection of open protocols and standards used for exchanging data between systems or application.
Summary of web service
- Is available in private or internet networks.
- Uses standardized XML messaging system.
- Is neither tied to any of the programming language or operating system.
- Is discoverable via simple mechanism.
- Describes via common XML grammar.
Components of web services
HTTP and XML are the basic web service platforms, while the standard platform uses the following components,
- UDDI (Universal Description, Discovery and Integration)
- WSDL (Web Service Description Language)
- SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)
How do web service work?
This allows communication in various application by using SOAP (to transfer the message), WSDL (describe availability of service) and XML (to tag the data). You can also build Java based web service, that can operate in basic Window.
What are the different types of Web Services?
There are several yet central types of web services: XML, REST, UDDI, RPC and SOAP.
REST: It allows connectivity between the device and internet for an API-based task. Most of the REST service use HTTP to support the protocol. Beneath are the well-known mark-up languages for the REST.
- XML Interface for Network Service (XINS)
- Web Services Description Language (WSDL)
- Web Services Metadata Exchange (WS Meta Data Exchange)
- Web Services Conversation Language (WSCL)
- Web Services Flow Language (WSFL)
- Web template
- JSON- WSP
Representational State Transfer gives a unique representation to an individual URL. This kind of services uses, HTTP, and promotes several HTTP methods such as DELETE, PUT, GET, or POST. It offers simple CRUD-oriented services. This service was designed by Roy Fielding, HTTP, leading author.
Merit – Its human readable, lightweight and easier to develop.
De-merit – It lacks standards, point to point communication.
XML-RPC : Known as the remote procedure call, it is the most basic XML protocol to exchange data between wide devices. With the use of HTTP, data gets easily transferred from client to server and vice-versa.
SOAP: It is an XML-based Web Service protocol to transfer documents over STMP or HTTP. It allows independent processes operating on systems to communicate XML. The Simple Object Access Protocol exchanges structured data using XML. It also used WSDL and describes how the client side and server side must respond. It also has standards for addressing and security.
Merits: It distributes computing, has more standards, and usually are easier to consume.
De-merits: It is difficult to develop, set-up and involves heavy use of coding.
UDDI: It registers the business directory around the world. The universal description, discovery and integration is an XML-based standard, for discovering, publishing web services.
Why Web Services?
The benefits of using web services are listed below;
- Regulated protocol: A standardized protocol is used for the communication purpose by the web service. Layers such as XML Messaging, Service Transport, Service Discovery Layers and Service Description are the distinct protocols in the protocol stack. From this business can enhance quality, reduction in cost and wide range of choices.
- Low communication cost: As the service is used over HTTP protocol which can minimize the existing internet cost, for implementing web-services. This can also be used in reliable transport mechanism such as FTP.
- Interoperability: This allows application to share data and services. VB or .NET application can be exchanged to Java web services. This makes technology and application platform independent.
- Existing function on the network: A unit can be managed remotely using HTTP. This service allows to highlight the functionality of the existing code over the network. Once exposed, even other applications can use the functionality of the program.
NSW IT SUPPORT is the Sydney owned IT business offering range of IT services such as Wb designing, managed it services, networking, project management and more. To know more about the services, contact us or visit our website www.nswits.com.au !